Links for Victoria Writers
For Victoria Writers
Local writing groups provide you with a place to improve your craft and a solution to the solitude writing requires.
- Canadian Authors Association Victoria.
- Vancouver Island Romance Authors.
- Victoria Creative Writing Group.
- The Victoria Writers' Society (annual writing contest).
BC writing groups sponsor awards, contests and workshops.
National writing organizations are better equipped to lobby for improved copyright and other writers' concerns.
- Association for Canadian and Québec Literatures (ACQL).
- Association of Italian Canadian Writers.
- Canadian Association of Journalists.
- Canadian Authors Association (CAA).
- Canadian Science Writers' Association.
- Canadian Society of Children's Authors, Illustrators and Performers (CANSCAIP).
- Crime Writers of Canada.
- InScribe Christian Writers' Fellowship.
- League of Canadian Poets.
- Literary Translators' Association of Canada (Association des traducteurs et traductrices littéraires du Canada).
- Playwrights Guild of Canada.
- Professional Writers Association of Canada (PWAC) (formerly the Periodical Writers Association of Canada).
- The Word Guild — Canadian writers and editors who are Christian.
- Writers Guild of Canada.
- Writers' Union of Canada.
Local Readings & Events
Looking for opportunities to read or to hear other writers read in Victoria?
This is a list of some of the local publishers on the Island (mostly Victoria) that maintain a website. The descriptions provided are subject to change.
Check the publisher's site to see what they've published to determine if your book or piece will fit in. The publisher's Writer's Guidelines page is usually a great place to start.
- Ekstasis Editions is a Canadian literary publisher, with emphasis on poetry, fiction and criticism.
- Island Writer Magazine accepts submissions (PDF–7 KB) for the magazine from both established and emerging writers currently living on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands.
- Leaf Press (Lantzville) publishes poetry chapbooks.
- The Malahat Review is Canada's leading literary journal. Published quarterly, it features Canadian and international poetry and fiction as well as reviews of new books by Canadian writers.
- Neo-opsis Science Fiction Magazine is more likely to publish stories that are less than 6000 words and fit a science fiction or fantasy theme.
- Orca Book Publishers looks for quality books for children and young adults.
- Sono Nis Press is a publisher of juvenile fiction for ages 9–14, regional (British Columbian) history, transportation history (railway, nautical, aviation), historical biography, pioneer autobiography, and women's studies.
- Association of Book Publishers of British Columbia (ABPBC)
- Magazine Association of BC (formerly BC Association of Magazine Publishers).
- Spica Book Design specializes in book design but also offers printing, marketing and editing.
- Printorium Bookworks (Island Blue Print) provides Print-on-Demand self-publishing services.
- Hillside Printing does off-set printing and bindery as well as on-demand publishing.
- Self Publishing in Canada: A complete guide to designing, printing and selling your book.
- The Association of Book Publishers of BC (ABPBC) provides resources for writers on book proposals, literary agents and more.
- Free Photoshop book mock-ups for authors of e-books.
Copyright & Contracts
- Access Copyright
- Preditors & Editors.
- Public Lending Rights Commission compensates authors for the free public access to their works.
- What is Involved in the Standard Contract according to the Editors Association of Canada.
- What to Pay a Writer according to PWAC.
- WritersServices — over 4000 pages of free information for writers.
- Booming Ground is UBC's non-credit Creative Writing program.
- Fernwood Writers Workshops.
- Metchosin International Summer School of the Arts (Writing).
- The University of Victoria's.
- West Coast Screenwriting offers course on screenwriting (and discounts to CAA members).
Writing Conferences & Festivals
- Surrey International Writers' Conference held in October each year.
- Victoria Writers Festival.
- Words on the Water, the Campbell River Writers' Festival.
- Craig's List Victoria Writing Gigs where writers can find writing gigs posted for the Victoria area.
- Craig's List Victoria Writing/Editing Jobs where writers can find writing jobs posted for the Victoria area.
- Call for Submissions from Canadian Writer's Journal.
- Canadian Writer's Journal includes markets, contests and new writing ideas.
- The Gila Queen's Guide to Markets is subscription-based.
- Writers Write: Writer's Guidelines Directory.
- The Ultimate Freelance Writing Career Guide has some very useful (U.S.) links to forums and freelance work resources.
- BC Book Prizes.
- Victoria Book Prizes $5,000 prizes awarded annually to Victoria authors.
- The Malahat Review's writing contests.
Sources not necessarily directly related to writing, but useful to writers.
Schools & Libraries
- B.C. Coalition for School Libraries.
- British Columbia Library Association has links to other libraries.
- Greater Victoria Public Library.
- Russ Harvey Consulting for computer and Internet information.
- Russ Harvey's Medical Links.
- The Canadian Writers' Foundation is a registered charity to help Canada's senior writers when they fall on hard times.
- WebVICTORIA's Search List of Victoria Directories.
- The University of Victoria's Hypertext Writer's Guide (no longer available — archived March 13, 2016 on the WayBackMachine).
Updated: March 23, 2017