eComStation — OS/2 Renewed
eComStation is a highly efficient operating system that truly flies on today's powerful computers, and works great on legacy hardware. The minimal resource requirements extend the life of your IT environment, offering a greater return on your investment in computer hardware.
— XEU.com B.V.
eComStation Replaced OS/2 Warp
When IBM support for OS/2 and OS/2 Warp Server for e-business ended December 31, 2006, eComStation provided a viable solution for continuing to run the OS/2 applications they'd invested in.
eComStation version 1.0 was released on July 30, 2001. This product has progressed through releases of version 1.1 (released in 2003) and 1.2 (released in 2004).
eComStation 2.0 was released in May 2010 and 2.1 was released a year later.
Information about eCS and support documents are becoming more difficult to find. Many links on the ecomstation.com site are broken.
eComStation (eCS) was released by Serenity Systems as a replacement for IBM OS/2 Warp 4. SOHO users found eComStation to be an excellent productivity platform with lots of eye candy for those that like to enhance their desktops.
eComStation is secure, versatile, powerful and user-friendly.
- Why eComStation?
- Product information.
- OS/2 Warp 4 / Merlin Convenience Package / eComStation comparison table.
With better support for hardware and enhanced features, eComStation 2.0 provides a viable solution for continuing to run the OS/2 applications you've invested in.
eCS 2.1 comes in three flavours:
- Home & Student
- Business Edition
- Server Edition
All contain the following:
- SMP (multiprocessor/multicore) support
- OpenOffice.org for eComStation
- Support for all available languages is included
- Software Subscription Services (different between the versions)
- Support (different between the versions)
- Multiple licenses in production use (different between the versions)
Home & Student
The Home & Student version can be used by any private or small office user. As a private or small office user, it is allowed to have up to 5 licenses installed for production usage. This version includes 6 months of Software Subscription Services and on-line support.
If more than 5 licenses are needed, you are required to purchase the Business Edition. The Business Edition includes 12 months of Software Subscription Services and telephone support. Volume discounts are available for the Business Edition.
The Server Edition is based on the Business Edition and adds the IBM Warp Server for eBusiness components to offer a full professional server environment for your business.
A multi-processor version (supporting up to 64 processors) was released as eCS Pro, and is available if you need that capability.
XEU.com B.V. The Netherlands now owns and distributes the eComStation product line.
Choose one of the following retailers:
eComStation Demo CD
The current Demo CD is based on the eComStation 2.2 beta product. See the Demo CD page for details.
Released May 2011
eCS version 2.1 is currently available from various distributors worldwide either as a stand-alone purchase or as an upgrade from OS/2, eCS 1.0 or eCS 1.2.
Version 2.1 Improvements
eComStation 2.0 GA enhancements and improvements include the following new features:
- Include AiR-BOOT (version 1.0.7 final) to allow installation of multiboot environments without sacrificing a primary partition (required for most Windows 7 preloads)
- Updated ACPIWIZARD to handle APM aware mousedrivers
- AHCI support, enables installation on AHCI only systems. AHCI controllers deliver considerably better performance than regular SATA controllers.
- Added AHCI option to preboot menu (currently required to select manually)
Released May 2010
Version 2.0 Improvements
Some of the planned significant enhancements and improvements over eCS 1.2, including the following:
- Support for ACPI power management;
- Improved harddisk management;
- Support for Bootable JFS;
- Support for multi-user desktops;
- Support for Samba (Windows & Linux networking);
- TCPIP updates, including DHCP;
- Improved installation and migration options.
The development team of eComStation has significantly raised the level of ease of use of the installation process and improved hardware support.
Serenity released eCS version 1.2 with improvements in the installation process involving mainly the recognition of networking and sound cards (see the V.O.I.C.E. eCS review for details).
There are several ways to either buy eCS 1.2 or to upgrade from either OS/2 Warp licenses or eCS 1.0/1.1 licenses.
Fixes and Updates
There are various fixpaks and updates available on the eComStation Official Web Site for eCS version 1.2, or you might wish to consider moving up to eCS 2.0.
eCS Application Pack 1.2
eComStation has various add-ons available that can be purchased later if you need them. One of these is the separately available eCS Application Pack 1.2 which includes:
- Lotus SmartSuite 1.7.2 (eCS 1.0 had version 1.5.1).
- OpenOffice.org software for OS/2.
- Serenity Virtual Station (SVISTA) for OS/2 and eCS--a virtual machine supporting OS/2, Linux, FreeBSD and Windows as host platforms.